Monday, October 24, 2011

New Recollections from L.A. & Stockton, California

It has been a long while since I have posted.  Here are some more memories:

From L.M:
"I remember back in the 70’s going to a bunch of the college dances while I was still in Junior High and High School up in Stockton.

Both Delta College and UOP used the East Wind Band, and they were quite the thing back then for all Asian Alliance dances. I had the most fun back then at those dances, and remember the music as pretty much what you hear Steve Kikuchi do for us now, which is why I’m happiest at dances that he puts on since my music growth is stunted and pretty much stopped way back then.

I remember though running into cousins that were quite a bit older than me, and would totally freak out to see their young cousin at these dances. Of course, quite a bit older now equates to about 5-8 years older, and doesn’t seem so much older anymore, but back then when I was only 15, 20-23 sounded ancient to me.

Gary M. wrote to me in August the following:

"I had been involved in several bands over the years. Starting in the mid 60's a band called the Rising Suns was the first garage band I participated in. It was comprised of friends, Clayton Mizufuka, Wade Hojo, Kenny Takaoka and Davis Akiyama who wanted to play the music of Thee Midnighters, Rolling Stones, Animals and of course, the Beatles. We were still in high school and played for school functions, USC Pharmacy fraternity parties and talent shows in Mar Vista and Crenshaw shopping centers.


Later I was asked to play drums for Thee Prophets. It's members included, David Akiyama, Brian Tanouye, Johnny Sanchez, Tom Sonjeka, Gordon Young, Michael Hotta, Denis Hotta, John Hubbard, David Honjio and a guy whose last name was I think Torigoi."




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sax player was named Johnny Torigoe and also there was a drummer early on named Dennis Yoneda.

Elisabeth L. Uyeda said...

Greatly appreciate your comment!

famiLEE said...

While listening to music of the 70's, I searched "Asian bands Carry On" and your blog appeared. I remember all you mentioned, about the Asian dance scene during the 1970's. Oh how it brings back the memories. I often reminisce of those days - the friends, classmates at USC, the dances and the late meals we had after the dance. This was a period of time, that only we, who attended these dances, retain fond memories in our hearts.

In the late 70's I worked with and became friends with Gordon Young (trumpet), one of the band members of "Carry On". Sadly, several years ago, he passed away. I saw his name mentioned on your blog and thought I would pass this information on to fans of "Carry On".

Thank you for your blog, and for sharing the wonderful stories.