Monday, November 30, 2009

Dance Organizers

Betty here blogging:
I remember the first dance I attended, at the Mary Knoll school (church?) in Little Tokyo around 1973 or 1974, when I was still in high school.

I remember that Tom Collins was a drink to ask for - it was a novelty to be old enough to have the freedom to order an alcoholic drink if I chose to. I never had exposure to drugs or chemical abuse. I was never confronted with a drug culture at these dances. It was very innocent. I remember the excitement of the bands, the music, the guys and girls, but the parties were never complete for me without sticking around afterwards to see the cars cruising, challenging each other, burning a bit of tire, sometimes seeing the cops arrive and the crowds dissapate.

I remember a carnival in J-Town - there were so many hot cars, even some Asian guys with low-riders, I heard they came out from Arizona to cruise.

Remember the name George Tong? He used to thrown dances...where is he now?

How about the lovely Claudia Mark? She threw many New Year's Eve parties in the 1990s...what is she doing these days?

General Lee's in Chinatown, many events and New Year's Eve parties were done there, too.

No comments: