Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Scoop on Musician Dane Matsumura


Dane Matsumura/ bass and Peter Fong/ drums at Blarney's Castle 1970

Peter Fong and me at Gardena YMCA 1972

Dane Matsumura has been an accomplished musician and an integral part of the Asian American music and dance scene. Dane wrote to me:

I have pics of that dated 1970 at Gazzarri's. I had all of these pics already scanned. I've been trying to preserve my old shoe box full of band pics. I have a bunch of these pics on myspace.com/danematsumura
Yes, I started the Paul's Kitchen thing with my band "LOCAL MOJO". It sure was a blast. I also play and handle the business for the band "Music Co".


Dane also sent to me the following bio:

Dane Matsumura was 13 years old when he began playing the electric bass guitar. After high school he was on the road for 2 years with a nightclub cover band that performed all over the Western United States and Canada. In 1978 he joined the Asian American band "Hiroshima" and played on their first two albums titled, “Hiroshima” and “Odori.” In 1981, he received a Grammy nomination for “Best R & B Instrumental Performance” as one of the co-writers of “Winds of Change” from Hiroshima’s second album. He performed and toured with Hiroshima until 1982. He has produced 3 CD’s for Crane Productions: Dane Matsumura & Friends, The Music Co. – “Just like ol' times”, and The Music Co. LIVE! He resides in Gardena, CA and is a freelance bassist.

The Music Company is the culmination of Japanese American musicians who grew up together in the 1960’s and 70’s from various LA bands of that era: Randy Yoshimoto (drums/ vocals), A Long time Comin’ & Free Flight; Dennis Yokotake (keyboards), Easy Living; Dane Matsumura (bass) Beaudry Express; Mariko Nishizu (vocals), Free Flight; and Howie Hiyoshida (vocals) from A Long Time Comin’.

In 1982, Randy Yoshimoto and Dennis Yokotake formed The Music Company. Dane Matsumura was soon asked to sit in on electric bass and
for the next decade, this trio performed at nearly a thousand wedding receptions, private parties, and community functions. Long-time friends Mariko Nishizu and Howie Hiyoshida have been adding their vocal talents to the band ever since 1992.

The Music Co. has recorded 2 CD’s titled “Just Like Ol’ Times” and
“MUSIC CO. LIVE!” produced by Crane Productions. Their “old school” musical style continues to be a favorite at weddings, dances, private parties, and many special community events.

3 comments:

Fastfist3 said...

Hey Dane,

I've enjoyed hearing Loco Mojo over the years at Paul's Kitchen. Sorry that place is no longer happening but that you guys are still quite active. I'm trying to keep track of where you guys play so that I can enjoy those old sounds. Keep your groove goin on and I'll be there right with ya!
Ron.....Manual Arts HS, "60

Unknown said...

Dane this is Eric Franklin.from your high school days. Followed you all these years and glad to see still grooving.

Kendall Jue said...

I am a great fan of the Music Company. I have both CDs and play them often. I wish they had a website so I could keep track of their appearances. I would love to see them again.

I graduated John Marshall High School in 1974 and would to to the Elks Club for the Asian dances. Attended UCLA 1974-78 and was part of the Asian fraternity Omega Sigma Tau. I organized one of their dances and booked We the People and Winfield Summit as our bands. I just wanted to book someone different than Carry On and Free Flight. On another occasion, we hired Prism, a band started by my friend Richard Acosta from JMHS.

In recent years, we have been following Elemental Funk, my friend Jeff Ng is the drummer and he posts their public appearances on his Facebook page.