Monday, November 30, 2009

More Email Responses on November 23rd

November 23rd Email:

I attended dances at the Rodger Young Auditorium. These dances were in a way, a gathering point for Asians from around the area. During those years, 1968 & 1969, everyone had a tendency to run with his or her own crowd, which in most cases did not include individuals from other schools. however, these dances drew from all around the city. I remember distinctly, listening to the band play, "More Today Than Yesterday" by the Spiral Staircase, and the most popular song of the time, "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly. Unfortunately, I also remember some fights, although rare. You know, at that time, the dances were probably one of the few places where Asian kids could cut loose so to speak. In an environment where being "conservative" was considered the norm, almost required, I remember seeing the girls "dressed to kill" and the guys sporting all of the hairdo's that had to be held in place by hairspray. I remember that the Hispanic kids were lowering their cars and the Asian kids were raising theirs. If you owned a nice "ride" it was par for the course to be seen arriving at the dance. Good memories!

November 23rd Email:

I use to belong to the band Thee Prophets in the 70's and presently in the group Carry On. We have many contacts who have valuable information and pictures from " those days". I will ask them to contact you with what ever information they have. Some people even have the actual entrance bids to the dances. THe only thing I can offer personally is my wonderful memories of that era and the music that drove the asian dance experience.

No comments: