Monday, November 30, 2009

November 21st Email- More!!

November 21st Email:
Do you remember the song “Summer Sun” recorded by the group Jamestown Massacre? Remember it being played often at dances?
Yes, I remember this song well, this was one of my favorites.

What were the names of the bands? Who were the members? Where are they today?
Man, I can't remember any of the bands names, even that big one that's still playing today. I know you know who they are. I even had a friend that played in one of the bands, but I can't remember his name or the bands. : (

Where did you go to a dance? Rodger Young's, Elks Club were the 2 major places I went. Gung Hay was another on occasion.

What music do you remember hearing and dancing to?
Suavecito (Malo), Pickup the Pieces, Cut The Cake (AWB), Together (Tierra), to name a few

Who were the organizers of the dances?
Not sure about this.

Did you go cruising, or enjoy being a spectator?
I was a cruiser in my 1972 Datsun 510 and a spectator at times. I remember there was a lowered yellow Chevy El Camino that use to cruise all the time at dances, I loved that truck. I wanted an El Camino for the longest time. For some reason, I think the owners name was Lance, I could be mistaken.

What other experiences did you have, minor, inconsequential, or major?
- I remember at Rodger Young's, in the middle of the dance, everyone was ushered out of the building and into the parking lot. There was a police helicopter overhead shining its spot light down on the crowd. The details are a bit fuzzy now, but I think it was because there was a guy with a knife or because a guy threw a chair at a large mirror or glass framed picture on the wall and broke the glass. It could have been something else too, like I said, a bit fuzzy.

- I remember Hiroshima came to play at John Marshall's auditorium when I was in high school. I had my little tape recorder with me and taped them as they played. Every so often I think about where that cassette might be (I don't throw much of my stuff away, so it's probably somewhere). From what I remember, there music was more radical (for lack of a better word), than it is today. I wish I could find that tape.

- At the Elks Club on 6th(?) I remember seeing a couple people using an ice cube to re-wet their hand stamp so they could transfer it to someone else's hand, so they didn't have to pay to get into the dance.

- After dances we use to go to eat and hang out at various places. Maggo's (?), Holiday Bowl in Crenshaw...

No comments: