Monday, November 30, 2009

November 23rd Email and Q/A Follow-up

November 23rd Email:
We actually set up a dance at Rodger Youngs back in 1971-72 (not sure exactly) and we did something unique. We set up 2 stages and ran 2 sets between 2 bands: Winfield Summit and Hiroshima. We had Winfield Summit play at on end of the hall then Hiroshima played at the other end. I can’t remember if Hiroshima played twice or just once during the second set. I remember they charged us $ 500.00/hr. It was packed is all I remember and people that I had never seen before showed up. They came from different areas of So Cal. Some from Van Nuys and other remote areas.

I had my first taste of alcohol there. I went with my friend ---- (I think)and we sat in the security guys office where I think he also resided and he gave us full glasses of Scotch. It tasted horrible and I think I got sick later that night. I went that night to see the Younghearts (African - American group). They were really popular those days and it was a mixed crowd but the majority were asians.

Another place we used to go.......Japanese Deer park in Orange County...Anaheim I think. It was far but a great atmosphere. I think it was outdoor and not in an auditorium.

There was also another place in West LA that had a lot of dances too but I can’t recall where it was or the name of the hall.

People used to sell discounted bids (admission tickets) prior to the event and they would have flyers printed and distributed. We recruited strangers to sell for us and we let them in free for their efforts. It was also an easy way to meet people and get their phone numbers. It was a crazy time but fun at the same time. Yes...gas prices were reasonable those days and it didn’t matter how far you drove or where you landed. Even the house parties were insane...we would always call people to find out where the parties were at and they would always seem to know...how? I think that it was like their job to find out where the parties or events would be happening for that upcoming weekend. We would soemtimes just show up at parties uninviited and have just a great time meeting people. The people were very different depending upon where the party was at. The West LA parties were different ..... lots of black leather jackets and "attitudes" seemed like they were always looking to have a fight or something...looking for trouble I guess. We were guys from the Eastside and they knew it instantly but if you didn’t stare back or act stupid they left you alone. One party we went to in West LA someplace was just jam packed!! It was like wall-to-wall people...all standing....truly SRO. As you entered the room you couldn’t help but rub up against someone to get to the other side of the room. So many people that it spilled outside and the outside garage area was also packed. I guess it was someone’s parents house. We crashed it so we had no idea who was throwing the party.

It was a lot of fun but a bit crazy. We were lucky to make it out intact with no problems

November 29th Email Responses to Betty's Q/A:
Q: I really enjoyed your recollections: were you one of the dance organizers? If so, how did you fall into doing this? besides the money - did you sense a social need to bring people together? A: Yes but honestly we did this for fun.

Q: When you did the set-up for Hiroshima and Winfield summit - were the 2 bands new to the scene, or already playing and had notoriety? A: Hiroshima was popular within the inner circles. I think they were charging $ 500.00/hr. so they were a bit pricy for our us but the primary draw. Winfield Summit already had a following.

Q: Were dances held at the Japanese Deer Park? With similar bands playing?
A:
Yes, same setup but different crowd. I think a lot of the people were from the Orange County area. It was a great place ....open stage...outdoors...

No comments: